At SMC we are experts in autism learning style and instruction. Our programming is not limited to autism learners we have a diversified client base of varying learning styles. We are truly a team committed to instructing extraordinary minds to find their voice, purpose and place in the world.
At SMC, we teach social competence resulting in social skills. Social competence refers to social, emotional, and cognitive skills and behaviors that children need for successful social adaptation.
Our focus at SMC is to focus on thinking not behavior our thinking drives our behaviors. To adapt our behaviors to the social situation we must have social, emotional, and organized thinking. In building a social mind we teach:
- Social attention: seeing
- Social Interpretation- thinking
- Self-management of behavior - doing
- Self-teaching to expand social understanding
Social Competency Strategy:
- We build & expand social perspective (thinking about others and what are thinking)
- We build & expand social language (social appropriate words, posture & body language)
- We believe that in building and expanding social language and perspective you increase social communication and build relationships
- Social groups consist of 2 to 5 children led by a certified therapist.
- Conversational skills,
- friendship development, interaction skills,
- problem solving,
- emotional understanding, and
- how to understand other people’s perspective is the group focus.
- By exposing the child to social interaction, engaging them in a shared experience and coaching him/her as to what is regarded as appropriate and inappropriate behavior equips the child for social success.
Who can benefit?
Social Groups can benefit any child struggling with building friendships, communication, and/or peer collaboration. Our social group curriculum is invaluable in addressing friendship challenges.
Benefits for Your Child and Family:
- Making Friends & Keeping Friends
- Working in Groups
- Excelling in Team Sports
- Playing Well with Others
- Resolving Conflicts/Social Problem Solving
- Self-Advocacy /Bullying Solutions
- Developing Shy & Gifted Kids
- Turning Around Social Anxiety
An individual intervention plan, including assessment and goals is developed for each child. Progress reporting ever 12-16 session. Intervention is structured and focused.
An intake social communication interview identifies the child’s area of weakness to be targeted in group or individual intervention. Schedule an intake interview today!
Steps to social group placement:
- Complete program placement application
- Schedule social communication intake
- Goal plan design
- Assignment to group matching current skill set or to individual intervention
- Individual intervention can include individual social competency instruction, language therapy, coaching and/or occupational therapy.
What to expect in the social communication interview:
Dr. Sandra Savinelli, will meet with your child in one of our rooms at the center, she can leave door open for you to listen to the session or you can view through a camera in the room. The purpose of the consultation is to determine the child’s strengths and weaknesses in social communication. Below is a brief description of the session:
- Through the use of social vignettes, the clinician begins to establish a social skills profile for each child. A social vignette
may include a ‘double interview’ where each person is asking and responding to a variety of familiar questions (e.g., what are the good
things at school, do you have a sibling, pets).
- Through the double interview process the clinician begins to develop a sense of the child’s ability to take the perspective of the communication partner by showing interest in them through a Q&A task.
- Another vignette may include presenting the child with social scenarios and asking the child to interpret what he/she sees in the picture. This task requires the child to identify the big picture or the gist of the picture by using social cues such as body language including facial expressions to come to a social conclusion. From the information obtained, a goal plan for the child is developed.
Social Group Program Placement Process: click here
Questions – Contact Ana Anselma at email@example.com
Which group or class is best for me:
Social Communication Groups – preschool through high school
- Social language and perspective-taking curriculum that gives children the skills to connect with others and build friendships thru flexible thinking. Some children miss social cues and misperceive body language. We offer coaching and direct experience that leads to cognitive and emotional development
- Ages 4 to 18
- 1 hour session once a week Monday thru Thursday
- Cost is $80.00 per session
Our messy, movement and science groups are designed for children that are working in managing their behavior, emotions and building communication skills.
- Our Messy Art group is centered on activities that encourage sharing space with peers and working on creative projects that focus on daily living skills, sensory exploration, motor planning and modulation
- Ages 3-8
- 30 min session once a week – Tuesday’s 3:00pm
- Cost $30.00 a session
- Our movement social group is centered on activities that encourage sharing space, group projects, body and emotion awareness, coping skills, motor planning, coordination (movement quality), endurance/ sustaining movement
- Ages 4-10
- 30 minute session once a week - Tuesday’s 3:30pm
- Cost $30.00 a session
- Colloborative Science (STEAM) group focuses on working together on team projects. Emphasis is placed on social communication practice such as turn-taking, initiating communication, problem solving and conflict resolution
- Ages 7-10
- 1 hour session once a week – Thursday’s 4:00pm
- Cost is $50.00 a session
Executive Skills Class: Organized thinking, working and living. Providing a road map to academic success for both parents and child. This group sessions incorporate parent training. Class is Monday’s at 5:00pm throughout the year customized classes including online. Cost: 8 sessions cost 360.00
I AM! Social Mind Center’s programming for girls geared helping girls define their own future. Empowering and connecting teenage girls to the issues and solutions to succeed as leaders in the 21 st century. Program runs on Wednesday’s at 4:30pm for 8 weeks cost $360.00.